The Irving Independent School District invites the community to join with us in celebrating 100 Years of Learning on April 23, 2009.
As our district begins observing its centennial in January, schools are encouraged to recognize the historical significance of the founding and development of a district that began with 125 students that has grown to more than 33,000. Beginning with one wooden building that housed the entire student population at the corner of 2nd Street and Jefferson Street in Irving, the Irving ISD has grown to encompass 48.5 square miles, comprising four high schools, seven middle schools, 20 elementary schools, three early childhood schools, and three learning centers.
Students, staff and community members are invited to learn about some of the key figures who helped to form what would become one of the largest school districts in North Texas: Lee Britain – who donated the land for the site of the original campus in 1909; J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown – two of the co-founders of Irving; Albert Farine – a member of a pioneer family who farmed an area near MacArthur Blvd, and many more. We also encourage our community to learn more about IISD superintendents and teachers who worked with the district during exciting times such as: A.S. Johnston, W.T. Hanes, Mark Callister Lively, Sally B. Elliott, and John F. Townley to name just a few.
The names above should all sound familiar. Each day we open the doors to schools named in their honor, and over the course of a century the sounds of children’s voices have been added to the voices of those above in recording the district’s history. Please note the links to three historical documents and photo galleries below, come visit our schools, and celebrate with us as we commemorate 100 Years of Learning in Irving ISD.