HISTORY OF IRVING ISD'S STADIUM
Original Stadium - 1920's and 1930's
The original stadium was built in the 1920's at the corner of Irving Blvd. and Lee Street (across the street from the present location of Griff's Hamburgers). There were no lights, seating or parking lot and they had wooden goal posts. Bleachers were added in the 1930's.
1928-1929 Football game
1936 Irving Tiger football team
1930's Football game
Stadium Built on Bowie site - 1947
In 1947, a stadium was built on the present site of the Bowie Middle School football field. This was one year prior to the high school being built on that site. This field had lights and bleachers. This picture was taken in 1948-1949.
Present Day Stadium was Built in 1956
In 1956, a stadium was built at the present site of Irving ISD's Stadium. The construction was controversial. Financing for approximately $90,000 was arranged through a combination of bonds and school district funds. Estimates soared to $131,000 but when bids came in, the low bid was $298,000. Stadium design had to be changed to accomodate a reduction in costs. Final estimated cost was $112,000.
Changes To The Stadium Through the Years
Since 1956 the stadium has been updated several times, most recently in 2009 with a new field house and in 2013 with a new track.
1961 - New Parking Lot on the west side of the stadium.
1963-2008 - Field House at Stadium
1978 Home side Press Box
1978 Visitor side Press Box
2001 New entrance to Irving Schools Stadium
2001 New Pressbox
Irving ISD Renames Stadium After Longtime Supporters
Irving ISD surprised longtime supporters of district athletics, Joy and Ralph Elllis, by renaming the Irving Schools Stadium in their honor. A special ceremony was held prior to kickoff of the MacArthur High School homecoming football game on October 28, 2016.