Can I do read alouds?
As educators worry and wonder about reading books aloud online and copyright laws, Scholastic has changed its policy to adapt to the current coronavirus crisis and unprecedented impact on teachers and students. Through June 20, teachers can post readings of Scholastic books online if they follow the guidelines.
Read the entire letter to teachers, and policy guidelines, below.
These are challenging times for all of us and we are particularly sensitive to the needs of children to continue their learning and to reap the many benefits that literature brings them. We at Scholastic are in full support of providing a wide range of online learning activities for kids during this time of school closures. If you haven’t yet, please check out our Scholastic Learn At Home initiative for educators, administrators, and families.
We have been moved by the numerous requests we’ve received from teachers across the country who are trying to address these needs by posting readings of books online for students to access. We want to support you in your efforts and ask that if you choose to read your book online to your students you follow these guidelines:
1. At the beginning of your video, please state that you are presenting your reading “with permission from Scholastic.”
2. Our preference is that you post your reading through your school's platform or another closed group or platform with limited access for your students. However, we recognize this may not be possible, in which case you may post it through a more publicly accessible platform, such as YouTube.
3. Since we view this as a way to compensate for the closure of schools, please delete your video or disable access by the end of this current school year, no later than June 30, 2020.
4. Please reply to email@example.com with your name, school, city and state, and the title and author/illustrator of the book you intend to read online. By posting a reading, you are agreeing to abide by the above terms.
5. Finally, we would love to follow along with your read-aloud, so please tag Scholastic's social media handles in any posts affiliated with it!
Twitter: @Scholastic Instagram: @ScholasticInc Facebook: @Scholastic YouTube: @Scholastic
Thank you for all you are doing to help students and their families through this difficult time.
SLJ List from Publishers - https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=publishers-adapt-policies-to-help-educators-coronavirus-covid19
Teach with picture books.Select from the links below to see the books you can use in the Barton Library