In implementing the Local Government Records Act, the District shall:
- Establish, promote, and support an active and continuing program for the efficient and economical management of all District records.
- Cause policies and procedures to be developed for the administration of the program under the direction of the records management officer.
- Facilitate the creation and maintenance of District records containing adequate and proper documentation of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, and essential transactions of the District and designed to furnish the information necessary to protect the District’s legal and financial rights, the state, and persons affected by the District’s activities.
- Facilitate the identification and preservation of District records that are of permanent value.
- Facilitate the identification and protection of essential District records.
- Cooperate with the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) in its conduct of statewide records management surveys.
Local Gov’t Code 203.021
REMINDER: Source/official records that have met their retention require a Disposition Log, Destruction (Form 769-007.1, can be found on Online Forms Database) prior to disposal. Only convenience records can be shredded without approval and recording.
The Government Code, Section 441.158, provides that the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) shall issue records retention schedules for each type of local government. TSLAC has established mandatory minimum retention periods for records of local governments.
Irving ISD has filed a Declaration of Compliance with the TSLAC adopting local government retention schedules: Common to All Governments (GR), School District (SD), Elections and Voter Registration (EL), and Property Taxation (TX). A copy of these schedules can be located at Local Government Retention Schedules.
For assistance with classifying records, please contact the Records Officer, ext. 5105 or Rosa Miranda Smith.