F.M. Gilbert Elementary is named after Dr. Franklin Monroe Gilbert, a true pioneer and leader for Irving. Dr. Gilbert contributed his time, his energy, and his love in various forms. Not only was he the only physician in Irving until 1936 (following the death of his father, also a physician), but he acted as mayor (1932-1937) and school board member. We are proud to be part of a school named after a man who was so dedicated to his community.