In 1914, Mr. Lee Bose Barton and his wife, Lena, purchased a farm in the community that was then known as Sowers. Sowers was later incorporated into Irving.


Their farm covered the area from Fouts Street to Pioneer. It included the property where our school is located on Conflans. 


Lee's children attended Sowers School, which was located on the street we now call "Pioneer". Mr. Barton was a trustee for Sowers School for thirty-five years.


In 1956, L. B. Barton Elementary School was built and named after Lee Bose Barton.