The J.O. Davis Elementary School in Bear Creek first opened as the Ledbetter School during the 1951-52 school year. It was affiliated with the Sowers Common School District, and was later named after a well-known black educator, Josie Ophelia Davis.
In 1956 the school was incorporated into the Irving Independent School District. Due to lack of funding in 1965, the Ledbetter School was closed down. All the students were bused to the other schools in the district. Eventually, the Ledbetter School was refurbished and reopened in 1990 as J.O. Davis Elementary. Davis Elementary is located in a mixed industrial/residential area of Irving. There are several industrial areas and small businesses located on the north and east of the school.
Principals of Davis Elementary
- -2013 Dr. John Ringhauser
- 2013-2016 Mrs. Tanji Towels
- 2016 to Present Ms. Angela M. Long