Learning, growing, belonging for all.
Lamar Middle School’s purpose is to provide an environment where all students learn, progress towards personal excellence, and are equipped with 21st Century skills so they may realize success in all opportunities they choose to pursue.
History of Lamar Middle School
Mirabeau B. Lamar played an important role in the history of Texas. In 1835 he joined the Texas army, helped fight for independence from Mexico, was promoted to head the cavalry, and eventually named secretary of war in Texas. Mirabeau Lamar continued his political career serving as vice president of the new Republic of Texas under Sam Houston and later became president of the republic in 1838. In 1846 rejoined the fighting ranks against Mexico, was promoted to lieutenant colonel, and was elected to represent Texas counties in the state legislature in 1847. With his services to the state of Texas through battles and politics, Mirabeau Lamar’s true legacy earned him the nickname the "Father of Texas Education." As president of the Republic of Texas, he pushed for lands to be set aside to fund public schools and universities throughout the state. Mirabeau B. Lamar Middle School opened in 1973 as a seventh and eighth grade junior high school. The school is located at 219 Crandall south of Rock Island Road. Lamar changed to house sixth, seventh and eighth grades in 1976.