Pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the District has a duty to identify, refer, evaluate and if eligible, provide a free, appropriate public education to disabled students.
Section 504 Guidelines for Parents
Section 504 Procedural Rights for Parents
Las Guias Federales de la Seccion 504
Notificacion de los Derechos del Progenitor y del Alumno
Identifying Children with Disabilities
Child Find – As part of the on-going identification and referral process, the District will make reasonable efforts to identify and locate every qualified disabled Student residing within the District who is not receiving a public education. The District shall inform the Parents or Guardians of these potentially eligible Students (who may be attending private or homeschools) of the District’s duties under §504. As part of the Child Find effort the District shall annually publish the Child Find Notice in local newspapers, student handbooks, and/or place the Notice in locations likely to be seen by Parents of eligible Students (such as supermarkets, pediatrician’s offices, etc.). Additionally, every teacher within the District should have information regarding the District’s overall early intervention process, understand how to initiate a §504 Referral and know how to identify Students who should be referred. Resource: CESD 2016
- Does the learner have a physical or mental impairment?
- Does the physical or mental impairment affect one or more major life activities including major bodily functions?
- Does the physical or mental impairment substantially limit a major life activity?
- Does the student require Section 504 services in order for his/her educational needs to be met as adequately as those of non-disabled peer?
- Each eligible scenario is determined by a Section 504 Campus Committee, a group of people knowledgeable of the student, on a case by case basis.
Visually Impaired Student Resources
Parent and Educator Resource Guide to Section 504
For more information, please visit the Guidance and Counseling department website.