Dual-Language Immersion (DLI) Program
Applications for the 2019-2020 school year are available March 1 - April 1.
To apply, download the enrollment form and return it to your Dual Language school by April 1 with your photo ID, child's birth certificate and proof of residence. If your Dual Language school of choice is not your resident school, you must also submit an in-district transfer request by April 1 at IrvingISD.net/Transfers.
2019-2020 Enrollment Form
Irving ISD is committed to produce bilingual, biliterate and multicultural learners who are critical thinkers, leaders and contributors in a diverse and competitive 21st century world.
The students will develop and achieve proficient to superior progress objectives of the state curriculum as they become:
- Bilingual: developing speaking and listening fluency in both English and Spanish
- Biliterate: demonstrating reading and writing proficiency in both languages
- Culturally Proficient: developing positive attitudes towards all students’ languages, cultures, and people they represent
Irving ISD offers a two-way Dual-Language Immersion program, in which classes are comprised of both English- and Spanish-speaking students, and a one-way Dual-Language program in which classes are comprised of all Spanish-speaking students. These students receive 50 percent of instruction in English and 50 percent in Spanish.
What are the advantages of a Dual-Language Immersion Program?
- Students in dual-language programs do as well or better on standardized tests given in English than students learning only in English.
- Learning a language positively impacts the structure and cognitive functions of the brain.
- It can lead to respect of multiple cultural heritages and languages that build friendships that cross class-language boundaries.
- It increases participating students' marketable skills in a global society.