Suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people between 10 and 14.
Youth Suicide Warning Signs:
- Talking about suicide or making a plan
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Extreme mood swings
What to do:
- Learn the warning signs
- Ask questions openly. (Do you want to hurt yourself?
- Take your loved one seriously, believe them and get them help. Take them to the emergency room immediately.
- Listen with empathy and provide support.
- Stay with your child, do not leave them alone.