School districts shall ensure that:
1. prior to assignment in the program, teachers who provide instruction and services that are a part of the program for gifted students have a minimum of 30 hours of staff development that includes nature and needs of gifted/talented students, assessing student needs, and curriculum and instruction for gifted students; (19 TAC 89. 2(1)).
2. teachers without training required in paragraph (1) of this section who provide instruction and services that are part of the gifted/talented program must complete the 30-hour training requirement within one semester; (19 TAC 89. 2 (2)).
3. teachers who provide instruction and services that are a part of the program for gifted students receive a minimum of six hours update annually of professional development in gifted education; and (19 TAC 89. 2(3) and TAC 233.1)
4. administrators and counselors who have authority for program decisions have a minimum of six hours of professional development that includes nature and needs of gifted/talented students and program options. (19 TAC 89.2 (4)).
The Irving ISD GT Update will focus on training that:
● Supports the IISD GT Program
● Fosters the Social Emotional Needs of gifted students
● Promotes Genius Hour and research models
● Fosters Creativity
● Includes Best Practices for Gifted Students
● Provides Twice Exceptional Support